There are a lot of reasons why parts of a home get damaged by water. It could be a leaking pipe inside the house. It could be a broken roof. Or it could be caused by forces of nature like floods and storms. In any case, you need to fix the damage done before it gets any worse. If you act quickly, you can minimize the damage done. Your success in repairing or restoring what has been damaged depends on the extent of the leak or flooding. You might need to contact a professional to survey the problem before you do anything. To help you out, below are some water damage repair tips that you can follow to deal with the problem.
1) Identify the source of the water and plug it out immediately. This is the very first thing you should do in order to prevent further damage. Clear the area around the leak so that it would be easier for you to plug it. Move any furniture that’s near it. You may have to put a temporary cover so that you can gather the necessary materials and tools for a permanent solution. If the problem is caused by a leaking or burst pipe, make sure that you turn off the pipes before you start patching up the leaks.
2) Dry out the affected area. Use a mop to get rid of all the water that may have accumulated on the floor. Open the windows for faster drying. You can use either fans or dehumidifiers to help dry the area. If parts of the wall were damaged, you may need to cut away through the wall and remove the portions that got wet. Walls that have been submerged in water can crumble and may pose danger to you or anyone who lives in your house. A wet wall also encourages the growth of mold and mildew. However, if the wall is made of wood, you should first see if you can still save the areas that got wet. Usually, an efficient drying process would do the trick.
3) Disinfect the affected areas. This is necessary if the water has come from a pipe which runs from the toilet, bathroom, or kitchen. Use a non-toxic and powerful disinfectant to get rid of the bacteria brought by the leaking water. This will not only ensure the health and safety of the people in your house, it will also prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
4) You might need to call an experienced electrician. There’s a possibility that the water has also caused damaged in the electrical wires and systems in your house. You should get an electrician to check for possible electrical damage.
5) Document the damage and file an insurance claim. Repairing walls or floors that have been damaged by water can be costly. You can take off some or all of the burden burden by filing an insurance claim. You need to take a lot of photos of the damage done so that you can back up your claim with proof.
These water damage repair tips are easy to follow and implement. They will also save you a lot of time and money.